Thursday, November 18, 2010

November 16th, 2010

Baby Corwyn is getting his hearing checked right now.  I'll take this to make a quick post on the last few days.
I went to work as usual Monday, but was feeling very... pregnant... tired, weighed down, ready to "get this baby out". I came home and Gavin made tacos for me and I went to bed early. About midnight I woke up feeling slightly crampy, but figured I had just been sleeping wrong. Oddly, about 10 minutes later I felt bad again... and 10 minutes later I got up to inform Gavin that he needed to call the hospital and find out at what point they wanted me to go in because I knew the baby was still breech and would need a C-section. Since I still wasn't 100% sure I was having real contractions - they were difficult for me to say "OK, it is starting" or "OK, it is ending" - we waited about an hour before I finally decided that things were definitely progressing and not going away. By the time we got to the hospital about 1:45 am there was no more doubt in my mind... pain was getting intense and measurable at about 7-8 minutes apart. The doctor in triage examined me and verified that I was 4 cm dilated and my water had broken and the baby was breach. From there on I just tried to manage the rapidly increasing pain, answer all the questions, and sign my name on forms I didn't read, until I was given a spinal tap.
The anesthesiologist was a really nice 60 year old retired army guy who seemed to really know his stuff. The doc on call was not my OB, but got the job done. I don't have a good sense of time, but at 3:45 am I became a mom to a beautiful, wonderful, healthy, amazing baby boy. We didn't know his name yet, but we knew we loved him more than anything in the world...
The hardest part was watching my loves leave while I got sewed back up and then when they took him away for the doctors to check out (for HOURS) after we had only had 20 minutes of time together. Finally we got him back and discussed his name options with him. He seemed to like the name Corwyn and we all agreed that it was a fine name. Thus "Tidbit" became Corwyn James Palfreyman.



No comments:

Post a Comment