If there is one thing I know about being an American, it is that there is NOTHING that every American agrees on. I'm also pretty sure that there are plenty of Americans who would disagree with that statement.
For some reason, I've been struck lately by how many politicians like to reference "The American Dream", and whenever they do, I feel like I don't know what they are talking about. Some claim that it is the right to get rich. Some claim that it is more limited gain - home ownership, good food, access to education. Some simply claim that it is set out in the Declaration of Independence:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"...
I admit that I kind of like that one, mostly because no where in it does say that ONLY Americans have these rights, nor does it mention the right to actually OBTAIN Happiness. I am also loosely interpreting "men" to include women. But not children under the age of 18. They deserve to suffer, obviously. And unlike the founding fathers, I'm including non-whites and non-land-owners, and potentially rabbits (my PAC is funded by our sweet furry friends).
Oh yeah, back to my point: There is no American Dream. No one can characterize the national ethos of Americans because we are a nation of individuals (+/- 5%). And we all (+/- 5%) want different things. We have the right to protest at funerals and gather on Wall Street and tell the people who do those things that they are utter morons. So politicians, don't get up and stump about "The American Dream" - just tell me what you are for or against and how you plan to make it happen. Because I know one thing - I don't share YOUR dream to be a wealthy, jet-set politician.
December Daily® 2026 | Schedule & How It Works
12 hours ago

hear hear! agreement!
ReplyDelete