Saturday, May 22, 2010

Five on Friday... well, Saturday anyway

I'm being inspired by Abbey and Chrissie to post 5 random things that have been occupying my mind this week.

1. We are having a deck and pergola installed. I've been thinking about what sorts of plants to train up over the top of the pergola - I want something that will be pretty, provide shade in the summer, loose its leaves in the winter, and won't attract too many bees. A friend at work offered me some grape vine cuttings and I think that might be a really fun option. I really like growing plants that provide food and I think that it will be fun for the little one when he/she gets older.

2. More gardening - I pulled out the broccoli finally (never again!), and am ready to put in some cucumbers and beans. I also pulled out some onions and a scallion, and they are drying, but they were small and I'm not sure if they'll be edible. It was an interesting experiment, anyway. I love how gardening gives me both instant rewards (weeding and making it look pretty), long term excitement (watching the first tomatoes form), and I even enjoy the disappointments (broccoli) because they make the successes so much sweeter (strawberries). I am of course, also thinking about flower beds around the new deck/pergola...

3. I love lilies! My huge pink lilies are in massive bloom and several times I've caught random passers-by coming into the yard and looking at them. I need to thin them out again this fall, but at the same time, the huge clump of flowers is really fun. I have a nice vase full of lilies and mint, since these are the things in my garden I can't keep under control!

4. I'm so frustrated with bathing suits. I want to buy one I can swim laps in comfortably, but I can't find something like that in a normal store when I'm NOT pregnant. Now that I'm slowly starting to expand, I have no idea whether I should just buy a couple cheap, larger suits, or invest in a maternity swim-suit. I found a couple online that aren't so hideous I want to puke, but they are expensive and I can't even try them on. I'm planning on going to Target and the maternity store next to it today to see if I can at least try something on.

5. Baby Names! Lets face it, baby stuff is occupying my mind to the exclusion of anything else at times. Baby names mostly because anytime I talk to someone or hear a name I start analyzing it in my head - do I like that name? Do I know that person too well to steal that name? Would Gavin like that name? What nicknames would that name have? I also have "help" at work - one of my co-workers has decided to come up with every Greek name he's ever heard of and suggest it to me. And no, we are not picking Euripides as an option!
I also ran across a link to the most used Oklahoma names, which was fun.(baby names by state) And I crossed a name off my list because it was the number 6 name in Oklahoma last year.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you played along! I find the name game beyond fascinating, but obviously struggle at actually deciding on one:) As to the maternity swim suit issue. I ended up with two the first was cheap/online and not good for lapswimming at all. The second I bought at motherhood maternity. It is actually, weirdly, a tankini, but grew well with me. It was a bit floaty when swimming, but I wore it for laps through the last week and was comfortable.

    ReplyDelete