1. I've been enjoying my new deck and pergola every day this week. Mostly early in the morning while I eat my breakfast, and after the sun goes behind the trees in the evening while petting dogs. I attempted to buy some vines to start growing up around it, but could only find a couple of rather pathetic looking Morning Glories. I planted them anyway and they seem to be doing alright. I guess it is getting too hot here for most planting (about 90 most days), but I will try again in the fall to get some perennial vines going (I'm thinking about Akebia and Cross Vine based on advice from Oklahoma Garden Web and the Oklahoma Gardener's Guide by Steve Dobbs).
2. Gavin has been sick and work has been obnoxious, and I think this contributed to my first minor panic attack yesterday about having a baby. The logistics of child-care that we can turn on in an instant if Gavin gets sick, and that can deal with me having to be at work at 6 am one day and there till 10 pm the next just seems impossible. I know that people at work will be understanding about my limitations, but I also hate to ask to be treated as a special case.
3. Memorial Day is the first holiday break for me since the beginning of the year. I'm looking forward to having an extra day to relax and have fun with friends - and excited that this means several more holidays will be here soon. Somehow everything from Memorial Day to Labor Day speeds past. I also want to catch up on my scrapbooking - it would be nice to at least get the Christmas holidays done!
4. I attempted to find a maternity swim suit that I could stand and thought I could wear now and later. Attempts failed. Motherhood Maternity didn't have anything tolerable that fits me now. So I bought a slightly large speedo at Academy. I hope it will fit for a while, and then after I have the baby I should be able to go back to it. I am so glad that Academy opened a store in Norman - finding a one piece bathing suit should NOT be so difficult.
5. We've now watched the first set of Glee DVDs. It was lots of fun and kept me humming random songs. The caricatures are great and I can't help be reminded of my own high school days.
New Releases | October 2026
1 week ago

The work thing is tough. One reality is that sometimes you'll take sick leave when you wouldn't have before. People do understand, but I know it is hard to not be able to do 100% of what you want. It is all about compromise and I know from much experience that the child care thing is an evolving issue, but there are a lot of options out there. For instance, we have drop in care in Edmond up to 24 or something hours a week. There might be something like that in Norman, or try to find a cool SAHM mom via craigslist or a local mom's group that you can pay to watch the baby when gavin is sick. Really, some of us can pitch in at times too. Know you are surrounded by people that love you, Gavin and this little one. I cannot say it won't be hard, but it will be OK and you are not alone. We love you!
ReplyDelete